Domestic and Sexual Violence Information and Resources

Are you in immediate danger?

STOP, pick up the phone, and dial 9-1-1.

Sexual Assault
  • What is it?
    • Sexual violence is any nonconsensual sexual act, or any sexual act where "no" is not a viable option for any person involved (due to coercion, drug/alcohol use, physical or mental incapacitation, etc).
  • Getting Medical Attention
    • Certified Sexual Assault Nurse Examiners (SANEs) are available at many hospital emergency departments to provide these services and support in a compassionate and trauma-informed manner. You also have the option of reporting the sexual assault to law enforcement from the hospital, but you are NOT required to report to law enforcement in order to receive medical treatment or advocacy services.
  • Hospital Advocates
    • Survivors of sexual assault in the state of Oregon have the legal right to have a sexual assault advocate present in the room during the sexual assault medical exam and forensic evidence collection process. The advocates role is to provide support during the process, answer any questions the survivor may have, advocate with necessary agencies and provide follow up services if the survivor chooses. 
  • Sexual Assault Related Hospital Expenses
    • You do not need to worry about paying for post-sexual assault medical care. In the state of Oregon, the Sexual Assault Victim Emergency Medical Response (SAVE) fund pays for any of or all the elements of a "Complete" Medical Assessment​.
  • Seeking Justice
    • File a report with law enforcement, which will initiate a criminal investigation and may lead to the filing of criminal charges against the abuser.​​
    • File for a Sexual Assault Protection Order, (SAPO) this is available to survivors who have been sexually assaulted by someone other than an intimate partner. (This information is not legal advice and is provided for informational use only)
Domestic Violence
  • What is it?
    • Domestic violence is a pattern of coercive and/or violent tactics perpetrated by one person against a family member, roommate, or intimate partner, with the goal of establishing and maintaining power and control over that person.
    • Domestic violence can happen in all kinds of intimate relationships, including married couples, people who are dating, couples who live together, people with children in common, same-sex or gender-nonconforming partners, people who were formerly in a relationship with the person abusing them, and teen dating relationships.
  • Contact an Advocate
    • Advocates can listen to your situation, provide support and help you understand risks and consider your options.​
  • Escaping to Safety
    • If your safety or well-being is threatened by a family member or intimate partner, consider the possibility of leaving, either to a trusted family member/friend or to an emergency domestic violence shelter. However, attempting to leave an abusive situation can itself be extremely dangerous.
    • Individuals and families who are escaping domestic violence may seek temporary refuge at an emergency domestic violence shelter, generally operated by the advocacy program in that community. Inquire with your local domestic violence advocacy program for more information.
  • Preparing to Leave
    • Learn about the resources in your community by connecting with an advocate.
    • Consider a protection order if it applies to your situation. 
    • Know how you will leave and where you will go. ​
    • Tell people who can help and that you can trust. 
    • Prepare children (if applicable). 
    • Make plans for pets (if applicable).
    • Prepare a "to go bag" with important items you will need for yourself and children, keep them in a safe place until you are ready to leave or in case you need to leave suddenly.
  • Seeking Justice
    • File a report with law enforcement, which will initiate a criminal investigation and may lead to the filing of criminal charges against the abuser.​
    • File for a restraining orders, victims of domestic violence in the state of Oregon can petition the courts to issue a Family Abuse Protection Act (FAPA) order, regardless of whether a victim has reported the abuse to the police or filed criminal charges. Filing for a FAPA order is free, and victims do not need an attorney to get one. (This information is not legal advice and is provided for informational use only)
Resources for Survivors
Crisis Hotlines

 Sable House

Civil Rights Statement


Sable House operates its program, services and activities in compliance with federal nondiscrimination laws. No person shall, on the basis of race, color, national origin (including limited English proficiency), disability, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, or age, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be otherwise subjected to discrimination under any of our programs.


To file a complaint of discrimination, write Office of Civil Rights, Office of Justice Programs, U.S. Department of Justice (OCR), 810 7th Street, NW, Washington, DC 20531 or call 202-307-0690 (Voice) or 202-307-2027 (TDD/TTY). Individuals who are hearing impaired or have speech disabilities may also contact OCR through the Federal Relay Service at 800-877-8339 (TTY), 877-877-8982 (Speech) or 800-845-6136 (Spanish).

© 2021

 Sable House

Call Us

Office: 503-623-6703

Toll-free: 866-518-0284

24 Hour Crisis Hotline:


Advocacy Office: 

314 SE Oak St.

Dallas, OR 97338